Sunday, December 8, 2013

Prompt 66 - Carnival Lights

Laughter breaks through the noise of the carnival. The brightly lit rides spin and twirl in colors of yellow and red as the faces of the children riding them turn a little green. I can smell popcorn being popped and cotton candy being spun. There are people all around my friends and I as we stand there in front of the shooting parlor, the operator heckling us to no effect.

I catch a glimpse of a girl I danced with merely one night before. The lights on the ride dim and the laughter stops. The rides halt and the man in the shooting parlor, finally quiet. I cannot smell. I cannot hear. I can only see her, smiling, looking at me with a look that could melt stone.

One crazy little thought. The first one of its kind to pop into my head. “Ask her out,” a little voice says through my ear. I start to perspire just a little as that one, unbelievable thought bounces around in my head like it was the only thing there. My hands start to tremor as my heart rate spikes. I miraculously muster the intestinal fortitude to take one step in her direction. That one step is followed by another, and then another.

Suddenly I am standing there holding her hand. Unable to recall even asking the question, though it is clear I did, I walk back to my friends with her hand shooting heat up my arm and into my chest. It pulsates throughout my body, slowing time down to a crawl. “Is this what drugs feel like?”

The lights begin to glow again and the laughter returns. The rides begin to twirl once more and the man in the shooting parlor is now louder than he ever was before. I walk hand in hand with her through the carnival that is now brighter than it ever was before. I am happier than I ever was before.

2 comments:

  1. The last two, Clues are His Creations and this one, are a little strange in respect to the theme. In the Clues piece, I tried (tried) to go from big to small and small to big in each paragraph. In this piece I went from Big to small to big again. I hope that is allowed. I just all kind of flowed that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Is this what drugs feel like?”

    In my experience, falling in love has much more powerful effects in the brain than drugs do, but each do, in my experience, lead in the end to a crash proportional in depth to the height of the original euphoria, i.e., worse for love than for drugs.

    I liked your description of those frozen moments of excitement.

    ReplyDelete