Saturday, October 26, 2013

Week 8 - Bubble Pond

It all begins with a sudden gust of wind from the south, through the break in the mountains that leads to the Atlantic, and rushing across the water of this modest valley giving life to everything. The glass is dissolved, transformed to rippled waves that slosh against the small, pebbled shore. Water grass fans as the breeze runs up the pond and into the trees, shaking the red, yellow, and orange foliage from its slumber. A chill runs up my back as the winds breath upon my sun drenched face. I shudder and lean over to zip up my jacket.

The sun casts long shadows against the vibrant, dying mountainside. From where I stand, the top cannot be seen. I begin to walk along the thin gravel pathway that traces the water on its western shoulder. Gust after gust break the fragile leaves away from their birthplace high in the canopy and shower them like painted snowflakes down to the mossy, wooded floor. The dusty dirt trail twists through the shedding trees that now blanket the forest floor in a sunning palette of color. The ground crunches under my feet as I tread lightly, taking in the beauty of the scene around me through all my senses.

I come to rest near a small brook peppered with flat stepping stones. The breeze courses through the forest once more, bending the white birch trees and emptying their crowns of their bounty. The line of demarcation moves slowly up the mountain as the sun sets over the horizon. I turn and snap several pictures. A moment fixed for eternity. A windswept pond nestled like a baby, cradled between the long arms of the Fall mountains; for me, unchanging.

1 comment:

  1. Descriptive writing, particularly descriptive landscape writing, is not a strength of mine, and I do my best to avoid it. But when I have to do it, I shoot for minimalism--minimalism doesn't necessarily mean 'short,' but it does mean being careful not to get carried away and it means being suspicious of anything smacking of poetry or overwriting or exaggeration. It means trying to make the landscape 'mine,' somehow and avoiding anything conventional, obvious, or postcard-y or that smacks of 'fine' writing. It means looking for one small thing that gives a sense of the larger whole, rather than shooting for the moon. It certainly means being stingy with every adjective, prejudiced against every adverb, suspicious of every verb.

    ReplyDelete