Thursday, November 14, 2013

Prompt 39 - Snow Fight

A billowy coat and stay puffed marshmallow man pants. A pair of goofy looking boots and some mittens knitted by my grandmother. A scarf that wont stay wrapped around my neck for long and a look out the window. We run out the door and through the freshly fallen snow; deep and blinding. "To the fort" we yell as we charge like mounted Mongol raiders sacking a village.

Up the embankment and over the hump. Teams are divvied up and bedlam ensues. Snow flies from every direction. Ducking behind a car. Hiding behind a snow bank. Diving into a snow tunnel. My palms became cold from squashing the wet snow into a ball over and over. I throw snow at this one and that one, leaping over embankments piled high from the snow plow. The snow banks are convex and hard on the front and piled high with perfect snowball snow on the backside. The blue hue that blanketed everything reminds me of the abominable snow man from the Rudolph movie.

Running, jumping, diving. Our energy limitless. Forming attack squads we patrol around the buildings searching for a person to ambush. Snow forts stacked and carved like ice sculptures. Buckets of water poured over the top to solidify the edifice. The structures a marvel of ingenuity. Our battles legendary. Caesar who?

One can only resist the relentless, piercing cold for so long, however. We saunter indoors, caked in snow and ice. It's stuck in my goofy looking boots. It has hardened my hand knit mittens. It has soaked my stay puffed jacket and pants. I stomp my feet over and over in the hallway, detaching every last nugget of ice from my loins. A cup of hot coco stirred up by my mom awaits. A warm heater. A change of dry, warm, yellow pajamas with Spiderman on them. The spoils of victory.

1 comment:

  1. This is nicely done--the problem typically with nostalgia/childhood pieces is that they get goofily sentimental or that in some other way the adult writer bigfoots through the memories turning them all into something foreign to a child's outlook.

    None of that happens here. You keep the kid's POV, don't get sappy, and maintain control of the material and its tone throughout.

    ReplyDelete