Saturday, November 23, 2013

Prompt 46 - Gunfight

I squeezed through an alleyway between two abandoned buildings. Me and some friends were in the midst of a gunfight. Not a real gunfight, but a play one. We did this from time to time. I reached the end of the alley and peered out into the snowy street. The coast was clear. I scooted across the roadway and ducked behind a truck. Just then, a man from the other team lept from a nearby doorway and fired several rounds at me. These were not fake rounds, however. I laid there, bleeding, staring up at the the snow falling softly down from the sky and melting as it touched my face. My temperature dropped as I quickly began to fade into darkness.

Back to the beginning.

I chose my weapon and rushed into a dilapidated shed. I was careful. I slowly made my way out of the shed across an open street. The ground crunched beneath my feet as I walked; the snow freshly fallen on the gravel roadway. I pressed against the building and slid along its brick wall towards a iron gate. I heard a commotion beyond and peered around ever so slightly to see if I could catch a glimpse at the situation before I decided to charge in. Just then, a bullet struck me in the head. My limp torso slumped over and landed in the snow with a crunch. My blood dripped out, turning the white powder crimson red.

Back to the beginning.

I was determined. There was absolutely no way my team was going to loose this match. I sprinted over to a doorway and made my way inside out of the storm. Shaking off the snow I crept down the hallway and stopped jut behind a stack of wooden crates with some foreign language stenciled on its side. Hearing the boots of several members of the other team racing through the building, I retrieved a grenade from my belt. I pulled the pin and held on tight. I lurched from behind the wooden crates and raised the grenade, fully expecting to see a small crowd of the enemy taken completely by surprise. What I saw instead was a rifle pointed directly at my face and a single bullet exiting the muzzle.  My grenade fell to the floor.

Game over.

2 comments:

  1. Tut tut, no fiction in Creative NONFiction. Puhleeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you're being facetious or not :) It isn't Fiction but my nerdier side. An online WWII shooter game. I wanted to fool the reader into thinking it was fiction or something weirder.

    ReplyDelete