Sunday, September 1, 2013

Journal Entry: Day One

Sitting in Church today, listening to the pastor speak passionately from the Scriptures, I read to myself the words that the Apostle Paul penned in this letter to the christian church in the Greek city of Corinth. I read his words and in light of them, thought about my own. If I could write with the same passion. The same unwavering commitment to the message delivered. Paul didn't use a lot of high minded ideas and literary flourishes to awe his readers, he just wrote from the inner most parts of his soul. Out of his very being. I think that sometimes, through no real fault of my own, life can bog down my writing like an ox cart in the mire. External cares and worries, like getting a good grade, or writing just to please the teacher (no offense Mr. Goldfine or any other teachers of mine that might happen upon this post). There is a message within every work. I have to find it and commit myself to it. Then I can write from the heart and not the head. Thanks Paul.

1 comment:

  1. Paul had his problems (couldn't get along with James and Peter), but he was quite the word-spinner, and you could certainly do worse than emulate him. And in my opinion, nothing now or ever will be superior to the KJV translation.

    I don't take offense at the notion that you'd write to please the teacher, but I've designed the course to minimize the temptation. I don't grade pieces; I comment and occasionally might ask for rewrites, but I'd consider it professional malpractice if I tried to create a class of mini-me's. That isn't to say I don't have standards and opinions, because I do--but my job is to go to where you are as a writer and work with you there.

    ReplyDelete