Sunday, September 22, 2013

Prompt 14: Writing Like A Fisherman

Just like fishing, writing for me takes only a few very important components to be successful. Now I have not fished but for a few isolated times, and those were not very fruitful. But just like in the Holiday Inn Express commercials, I have have watched a few fishing shows, so I think I'm qualified to make this correlation.

The first and maybe most important ingredient in catching a fish is the bait. When I write, I need an idea. It might come to me as soon as I am done reading a prompt; Blam!. Or I might stew for a while. I have to go somewhere, do something. I have to think it over and make a plan of attack. Like bait, if I don't have the right idea, I won't catch the fish. Just as well, I use different baits for different fish. I might listen to music or watch TV. I might read or look at something else to get inspired. Or I might just drop it all together and come back later. But my favorite bait for a good idea is coffee. Coffee works more often than not. If I may throw in a random quote; as Mike Ditka once said, “Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions.” Words to live by Coach. Words to live by.

Secondly, fishing requires patience. Waiting. And Waiting. And Waiting. Until you can't take it anymore! I want my idea to be able to just blast out all at once and rearrange itself into functioning sentences with all the proper punctuation and structure. But as many who have proofread my work would openly confess, that is just not a reality. I don't have a whole lot of patience with writing, but I don't have too little either. I just squeak by. It's kind of like going fishing, but instead of waiting for something to bite, you hook your pole into a clasp on the side of the boat and go grab a drink out of the cooler. For me, that clasp is spell check.

Lastly, a good fisherman requires tenacity. Once you have your great white, you have to real that sucker in without it capsizing your boat and nibbling your legs off. As soon as I get an idea, I start cranking away. I can't stop and I won't stop until I finish as much as my brain will allow. I may be writing and my oven timer starts beeping. My phone may buzz until it falls off the table. But I can't be distracted by these menial trivialities. You see, the risk that I run by turning away from the page is that like that great white, I can't let it get away or it might be gone forever. Or at least until the next time it munches on some skinny dipping high school girl.

Yes. Writing for me is just like fishing. It takes the right bait, a little patience, and tenacity reel in that perfect catch. Now when I get frustrated, I might do what a few old fisherman I know have done on occasion. Throw some high explosives at it.

1 comment:

  1. My doctor is a far far outastata, much worse than me, a Boston boy by birth. So, he decides to go fishing and decides to go first class and be a fly-fisherman! Off he goes, and using a wetfly, he hooks a lunker, a keeper, a corker, a mountable.

    Or so he thinks. He's pretty damn proud, showing it off to friends, strangers, everyone! Hell, it's more than two feet long. A big salmon!

    Or so he thinks.

    Finally, someone takes pity on him. "Dude, it's a chub. Trash fish. Bury it in your garden."

    Sometimes I get pieces I think are chubs, but my student hopes is a salmon.

    Not this one, not a chub--it's a classic five-graf contrast essay, carefully worked out, carrying a certain amount of personal voice and juice, though maybe a little two much in the five-graf mode for 162. If not a brook trout, I'd say it's a "poor man's brookie," i.e., a white perch of a paper. They run in schools, like five graf essays, aren't hard to catch, and can be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete