Sunday, September 15, 2013

Prompt 12: Morning at Church

I sit on my drum throne rubbing wax on my drumsticks. An awesome present from my brother, by the way. They are always flying out of my hands.

I look around and see the small crowd of people. There are several children chasing each other in the back. One of their parents comes and quickly apprehends them,. Ushering them to their seats. The announcement person picks up the mic and tells everyone to take a second to great someone they have not greeted yet. Everyone stands and begins to shake hands and give out hugs.

There is laughter and loud chatter. Some are joking with one another and others are hugging and maybe consoling, giving their prayers. Some walk around, deliberately finding certain individuals they may not have recognized yet. The pastor laughs and shakes hands with several visitors in the back.

It is loud and jovial. Where I am, there is color all around me from the LED lights that wash the wall is neon green and blue. I chat a bit with my brother on guitar about the specifics of one of the songs and turn back to hear the announcements begin. People find their seats and their 411's (our weekly bulletin).

After announcements the offering is taken with everyone collectively reciting our prayer of blessing. People then pour to the front placing their tithes and offerings into the baskets. Many then come forward to the stage. I turn up my headphone monitor and give a signal to by brother to begin. I start swinging away at my drums and people begin to clap, hoot, and holler in excitement. It's time to rock.

1 comment:

  1. I can picture this--very clear, very specific, very visual, very informative. Good place to start and equally good place and way to end, since you're basically framing the piece with those drumsticks.

    ReplyDelete